Watch TV on Computer

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Latest Movie Riview - Rango

Shortly after I saw Rango, I read that Gore Verbinski directed the film in the hopes of doing something "small" after having directed the first Pirates of the Caribbean films nearly back to back. There is nothing small about Rango, save for maybe the title chameleon himself. It's full of grand ideas and larger-than-life characters, and it all folds up nicely in one big love letter to the western genre. Come to think of it, Rango isn't small, either. While he might be lacking in stature, he's the biggest thing to come to Dirt in the town's history.

Rango tells the story of a nameless Chameleon with a love for showmanship. He stages plays in his little tank, the cast full of his friends - a headless doll, a wind-up fish, a dead cricket, among others. Then his cozy little world is literally shattered (in a visually stunning scene) and he winds up in the Nevada desert, soaking in the harsh sun and wandering aimlessly. This crash course in the dangerous life of a desert animal doesn't last long, as he soon winds up in the small town of Dirt, where he makes a name for himself as the heroic Rango. But while his persona may be fake, the dangers of Dirt are very real, and he's soon forced to live up to the legend he's constructed.Rango might be the first CGI family-friendly western. You've got bandits, posses, six shooters - the works. And when I said it was a love letter to the western genre, I meant it in multiple ways. Not only does it contain all of the elements that make the genre what it is, but it's also riddled with numerous references to various cinematic masterpieces. The most blatant reference is also the best, and while I won't reveal it here, I will say that there was hootin' and hollerin' in the theater.Another area in which Rango isn't a small film is its amount of heart. It's bursting with lovable characters, and when you love the characters, you fear for them, and so all of Dirt's problems become your own. Cartoon lizard or not, you'll root for Rango just as hard as you'd root for any live-action character.
Rango's visual style is something unique, a blend of realistic and cartoon elements that work together seamlessly. Certain animals strongly resemble their real-life counterparts while others look like unidentifiable balls of fur. And yet it works splendidly, bringing the familiar charm of animated movies while at the same time maintaining a very surreal quality.

I hesitate to use this term, because you hear it every time an animated film is released, but Rango really is a film for all ages. And I don't simply mean that adults will be entertained as well as children. Children will definitely have a blast but adults will get more out of it. They'll appreciate the depth to the characters, the western homages, and the truly funny bits that are a little too sophisticated for the kids.
 

21 comments:

  1. This truly is a very important blog. Thanks for sharing this valuable information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen it yet but going tonight with my kids. Glad to hear that I might actually enjoy it to. So many kids films are like pulling teeth for the adults.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw this over the weekend. I totally agree with you. It was a good movie and my entire family...me and my husband as well as my 2 kids loved it. Nice review site!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was a cool movie. It was animated but it had some reality to it. Fun movie to see. Like your reveiw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love kids movies that have some humor in there that adults get...keeps us entertained too. I actually went in thinking I would hate this but loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Movie bored me. It was alright but I probably wouldn't watch it again. Guess kids might make me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thought this was a fun upbeat cool movie. Have to agree with you...works for all ages. Some parts I got and know my kids didn't and I loved the western aspect of it. I would tell anyone to go see it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, you do write your articles with passion. I hope you get the time to post for me some time in the future

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with you. It was a good movie and my entire family.Thanks for this very useful post this can help me a lot about my website.
    don

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this such a wonderful information hope i can share good info too.
    try to visit my site about Bloopers
    julius

    www.youcrazytube.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. It looks like a solid flick.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has been a very significant blog indeed. I’ve acquired a lot of helpful information from your article. Thank you for sharing such relevant topic with us. I really love all the great stuff you provide. Thanks again and keep it coming

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing such relevant topic with us. I really love all the great stuff you provide. Thanks again and keep it coming

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like Johnny Depp's constant changes throughout his career. I tend to prefer adaptability to actors that just play the same role every time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your post really helped me to understand Latest Movie Riview - Rango.it is helpful information and very informative.I would like you to keep up the good work. thump up and thank.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is an extremely smart written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Infolinks In Text Ads